Monday, November 19, 2007

Are you Jonile Tonight?

Because it had the word "MAN" (男) boldly slashed into its lid, Otokomae tofu intimidated and taunted me for months from its arrogant perch on my grocer's cooler shelf. It was over a tofu-supported dinner with my two female bosses last night that I finally divulged my shame over being unable to ever bring the masculine package to the register, even though my urge to devour it bordered on the perverse. Voicing this dilemma aloud clarified its pettiness.

Tonight, shaking off fears that the delicate young lady at the supermarket counter was repulsed by my baseness, I bought the tofu with exact change. I took it home, undressed it, and will never look back. I will devotedly purchase Otokomae tofu from this day forward, knowing that I have as much right to enjoy it as any Handsome Man. Maybe it was all the built-up emotion surrounding the experience that made this textured, loose variety of bean curd seem like the best I'd ever eaten, or maybe it really was.

The website is dizzying and excessively confident, but I was heartened to see a couple of women on it. I think they're supposed to be aerobics instructors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt close to the same about Men's Pocky for a long time... but once I had it - I couldn't get enough - the dark, bitter chocolate, manly as it apparently was, made perfect sense to me.

But not as much as the Erebetaa Bando.